top of page

Studying Abroad FAQs


Here are the answers to your most frequently asked questions!


Study Abroad - Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)

Am I eligible to study overseas?

To begin studying as an international student, there is a range of entry requirements you may have to meet.

The academic requirements (including evidence of English language skills) you need to study will vary depending on the level of education you want to study. For instance, some courses will require you to have done a foundation course before applying for a degree. All universities and schools can have different entry requirements, so read the course information on their websites carefully.

Your IDP counsellor will help you assess your eligibility for different programs and guide you on the courses and locations that best meet your preferences.

How much will it cost to study abroad?

To begin studying as an international student, there is a range of entry requirements you may have to meet.

The academic requirements (including evidence of English language skills) you need to apply will vary depending on the level of education you want to study. For example, some courses will require you to have done a foundation course before applying for a degree. All universities and schools can have different entry requirements, so read the course information on their websites carefully.

Our counsellors are here to support you with guidance on the courses and locations that best meet your preferences. 

What should I consider when choosing what and where to study?

  • When deciding what and where to study, start by thinking about your academic interests and career goals

  • Take some time to research specific courses, subjects and options for internships or work placements

  • Look at the campus location, rankings, the amount of time you would like to spend away from home and the total cost of studying and living overseas.  A country’s economic, political and social stability are also factors you should consider when studying away from home

  • Think about what kind of lifestyle you prefer – do you want to be in a cosmopolitan city or a quiet country town? Would you prefer to choose a city where there are other students of your nationality? Do you want to be close to the beach, forest or desert? Do you want to live on campus?  

  • If you would like to explore the option of staying in the country to work after your studies you will need to find out about the migration policies in place and visa conditions. Also, be aware that these government policies can change at any time during the course of your study

When considering what and where to study, your JPISS counsellor will be able to guide you on the courses, institutions and locations that best meet your preferences.

Will studying abroad help me find a good job?

Your career prospects will benefit hugely from your experience of studying, living and socialising overseas. It’s your opportunity to develop a wealth of new skills, perspectives and stronger English language skills and seek work experience from the kind of employers you’d like to work for.

A recent study conducted with more than 4,500 ex-international students explored the exact skills employers in the US value when it comes to recruiting people that have studied overseas.

When should I start planning my study abroad procedure?

We recommend you to start as early as possible. This will give you enough time to ponder upon your interests and research according to your personal and academic goals and aspirations. Location, course duration, costs, accommodation, and living conditions are some of the other aspects that you need to figure out along with your program. Start planning at least one year or intake in advance. Of course, we are here to help you throughout the entire process.

Will my overseas qualification be accepted in my home country?

The skills and qualifications employers and professional registration bodies require will vary from country to country. If, for example, you are working towards a career with strict entry requirements such as medicine, engineering, accounting or teaching, do some research with the relevant registration bodies in your home country for advice.

What if I can’t afford to study overseas?

There are various scholarships and bursaries available for international students to help them fund their studies. The amount and availability vary by the level of study and institution. Since scholarships are competitive in nature, you will have to demonstrate exceptional academic achievements to earn them. Governments and other organisations also provide scholarships and awards to help international students fund their studies. Speak with your IDP counsellor for details of various scholarships available for your chosen course and university.

Can I work and study at the same time?

Working while you study can complement your study and living experience. If you pursue a course at degree level or above you may be permitted to work while on an international student visa. Before you undertake any paid work, you need to make sure that your visa allows it. The opportunity for students to work part-time during their studies varies from country to country.

Many universities have a dedicated jobcentre on-campus for students that advertise job opportunities to help students develop skills. The university careers service is also a useful source of information.

How long does the application process take?

We recommend you begin your application process at least a year in advance to give enough time for your applications to be processed and to prepare for your time overseas.

Bear in mind that the academic year begins at different times of the year in different countries. Semester dates tend to run as follows:


Semester 1: starts late February/early March to late May/early June
Semester 2: starts late July/early August through to November.

New Zealand

Semester 1: from February to June
Semester 2: from July to November


Term 1: from September to December
Term 2: from January to April
Term 3: from April to June


Fall Term: from August to December
Spring Term: from January to April
Summer Term: from May to August


Fall Intake: primary intake starts in August/September
Spring Intake: smaller intake in January/February
Summer Intake: limited programs intake in May/Jun

The above dates are a guide only. You should always check exact dates with the university or college you are applying to.

Do I need an education agent?

While you can apply to study directly to an institution, you may choose to use the expertise of an international education specialist (also known as a student counsellor) to guide you through the process of choosing a university or school and enrolling. Using an accredited and trusted agent, like JPISS, can help reduce the stress of choosing a school in another country, applying and preparing to leave.

Our student counsellors are knowledgeable and up to date on curriculum changes, and have your best interests at heart. Most of them have studied overseas themselves hence can offer first-hand advice every step of the way.


What if my parents don’t want me to go overseas?

It’s natural for your family to be nervous about letting their children travel alone to a new country. Millions of students have done so and thrived, but this doesn’t make it less difficult for parents to accept.

We encourage you to involve your parents in any discussions or appointments you have with IDP. With the reassurance of an international education specialist like IDP, your parents would feel more confident seeing you being assisted by a professional and responsible organisation in your applications and preparations.

Who is JPISS?

JPISS is a global leader in international education. We help students study overseas in English speaking countries. We’ve been doing it for 07 years, creating a huge network of opportunity across 12 countries.

Our experienced education counsellors work with you to turn your study plan into a launchpad for professional success and personal growth.

Will JPISS Education help me with advice after I am offered a place at the university?

Our service extends beyond study advice and applications. We can help you get all the essential services you’ll need while living abroad — health insurance, foreign exchange, accommodation, setting up a bank account and obtaining a SIM card.

We organise pre-departure orientations that cover topics such as student life in your new country, advice on adapting to the culture and how to deal with homesickness.

We also host welcome activities when you arrive in your new city where you’ll meet fellow and former international students from around the world.

Does it cost money to see a counsellor at JPISS?

Our services are free for 100% qualified students. However, if you do not meet the direct admission criteria then you have to pay a service charge of 50,000TK BDT. You do not have to pay anything to book an appointment with IDP. However, there may be some small fees for courier services or document verification. For more information, call up JPISS office or complete our enquiry form.

Does JPISS Education have any special relationship with specific institutions? How many universities and colleges do JPISS work with?

Yes, we partner with more than 200+ leading universities and institutions around the world. As a world leader in international student services, with over 07 years of experience, JPISS only works with the universities, colleges and schools we know to be of a high standard. This is based on official, academic reviews of those institutions as well as our experience of working with them and the experiences of our students.

Interested in studying abroad with JPISS?


Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page